Our Golden Mission


Sunday, July 23, 2017

Who is Hal Jordan?

My name is Hal Jordan, and I am the Green Lantern of Sector 2814.

I am to be the most well-known Green Lantern and the first human ever inducted to the intergalactic peacekeeping force known as the Green Lantern Corps.

After my father died in a plane crash, I swore to follow in his footsteps and learn how to fly, no matter how dangerous it might be! I proved my worried family wrong, faced my fears, and became one of the best pilots that the United States Air Force had ever seen!

I never knew flying would lead me to finding Abin Sur, the dying Green Lantern. I was on the job in the Californian desert, when I saw something that looked like a spaceship destroyed on the barren surface below. I went down to investigate, I found a purple alien in a green suit with life threatening injuries. He took the ring off of his finger and gave it to me! He told me that he was selecting me as the next Green Lantern for Sector 2814.

 He looked into my past and saw my strong ability to overcome fear, and knew I was the one who should take up his position. Using my Ring of Willpower, I would fight off intergalactic threats and make sure this part of the universe’s life stayed safe.

Later, I was transported to the Green Lantern Corps headquarters, where I learned that there were 3599 other Green Lanterns coming from planets across the universe. We were empowered by mystical creatures called the Guardians who were mysterious and powerful. After receiving my training from my mentor, Sinestro, I knew that I was destined to show the world that will power was the strongest force in the galaxy.

When I became a pilot at a young age, I never imagined that I would grow up to fly around to different planets protecting its inhabitants from the great unknown. However, as time passed, I realized that the world was full of fear, anger and destruction and now using my power ring, I was there to show people that there was power in believing in yourself!


Come help Green Lantern and the rest of the Justice League this summer, by doing the Save the Superheroes Scavenger Hunt in the Children’s Room at the Avon Free Public Library!

No comments: